Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Iris's are Blooming!!

One of my 2 favorite blooming times in the yard (the other is the Peonies!)

The smaller iris's have gone by and now it's time for the Bearded Iris's to shine....

I have several varieties and know I will be wanting more!

This is the first iris I ever had in my yard, after seeing some gigantic double blooms on the work desk of a friend ...he said he would "share with me " when he split them...he shared several colors but when I transplanted a bunch to my new house...I must have only brought along the more predominant one in the grouping....affectionately known as the "old Lady Iris's" because they are very traditional, and found in older gardens...These actually came from his grandmother Edith's yard...so there is some real longevity here! Thank you for sharing Dana, and opening my eyes to the world of Iris's



No Story for this one, just a pretty bluish/purple bearded Iris.



This was my last Iris purchase.....I get a lot more of them from friends, which makes them that much more special...but I digress... this grouping, I planted 2 years ago, too late to enjoy any blooms last year. This year I was happy so see blooms forming, and recalled planting blue Iris's in that spot (I seem to have a love of the blue and purple colored plants)

When the first bloomed opened, I was surprised (and pleased) to find they were a pretty purple and white Iris, unlike any others I already had. Then a couple of them started to bloom in a totally different color, which was NOT supposed to happen, as this was not an assorted bag of iris's....but I am happy now because, again, they were not similar to any iris's I already had, in fact, other than the new dogwoods, I don't think I have anything "peachy" in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment