Monday, July 5, 2010

Veggie gardening

This year we moved our "Veggie Garden" from a small wet area next to the driveway, to a large dry and much sunnier area just below our deck......I am not sure if I knew what I was getting myself into with all the veggies I planted...but sure will find out in the next few weeks.......last year we had hardly any warm summer....and this year is the EXACT opposite....it has been 85 to 90 degrees consistently for weeks now...which is really turning up the growth of the garden...I took this pic from the deck on June 16th....



And barely over 2 weeks later I took this pic July 2....look to rapidly all the plants shot up!



This year I am growing:

Tomatoes:
Sweet 100
Tangerine
Grape
Yellow Pear
Beefsteak
Roma
Rutgers
and a few that I am unsure of, but something that came back from last year....the surprise tomato...will figure out in a couple weeks.

Peppers:
Red
Jalapeno
Cayenne

Bush Cucumbers
Zucchini
Summer squash
Butternut squash
Brussel sprouts
Potatoes (red , purple and White)
Eggplant, (Traditional, Round Purple and White)
Basil
Garlic
Lettuce (mesculin mix and Black Seeded Simpson
Cantaloupe

I have also started Asparagus, for hopefully next year harvesting.
Also at the end of the garden, because I needed to fill it up...I have 3 cutting gardens of flowers... Gladiolas,Sunflowers and Zinnias.

So as you can imagine, between this garden, my flower gardens, and travel baseball, my summer has been really busy....hmmmm maybe that's why my pool is green :)

No comments:

Post a Comment